What exactly does Food Sovereignty mean?
Listen to the AM 660 KTNN Radio Forum here! Food Sovereignty Forum
On May 16th, 2017 local community members and organizers joined in on the discussion about food sovereignty and what it means to we indigenous people. What is food sovereignty? How do we put people back in control of our food system? And what are people doing to address issues about food? These are the questions that these amazing individuals are tackling in their communities. Learn more by listening online and at our Soundcloud.
Featured speakers include:
- Dana Eldrige, former Diné Policy Institute member and co-author of the Diné Food Sovereignty Initiative (2014).
- Alicia Tsosie, the Native America Program Coordinator with the Grand Canyon Trust. You can learn more about what they do on Facebook @IntertribalLearningCenter
- Lilian Hill, one of the founder’s of Black Mesa Water Coalition and the current ED at the Hopi Tutskwa Permaculture Institute, you can also learn more about them through Facebook or at Hopi Tutskwa Permaculture Institute. Also featuring, Audrey Narindrankura, the Development Coordinator of the Hopi Tutskwa Permaculture Institute.
- Aretta Begay, traditional herbologist and Dibé éí Iina Coordinator and Director. You can learn more about them at navajolifeway.org.
- Lastly, Black Mesa Water Coalition’s Roberto Nutlouis as Navajo translator and Colleen Cooley as host of the forum.