BMWC Operations Manager
Job Announcement & Description
The Black Mesa Water Coalition (BMWC) is seeking a full-time Operations Manager to develop and manage operations at BMWC. The primary responsibility of the Operations Manager is to improve organizational effectiveness by evolving and managing organizational policies, practices and internal systems. This is a full-time position located in BMWC’s Flagstaff, AZ office and reporting to the Executive Director.
BMWC is dedicated to preserving and protecting Mother Earth and the integrity of Indigenous Peoples’ cultures, with the vision of building sustainable and healthy communities. We strive to empower young people and spark collaboration with surrounding communities and organizations to address the problems we collectively face. Our central goals are to:
- Heal and redefine our world by reaffirming our power – rooted in our Indigenous teaching of Hozho – to ensure respectful, self-engaged communities that will achieve long term self-sufficiency absent of all forms of oppression.
- Restore and maintain our relationship with Mother Earth as a sacred being, ensuring our communities make and implement decisions that protect her regenerative ability to provide for the well-being of all creation.
- Transition away from an extractive economy to a culturally based, ecologically restorative economy that is determined, controlled, and managed by local communities and which ensures all families are healthy and vibrant.
The Operations Manager is responsible for improving the efficiency and productivity of BMWC’s operations, and therefore the overall performance of BMWC. They will develop and manage BMWC’s internal polices, practices and coordination, primarily working with BMWC’s staff and board. They will also manage BMWC’s general external dealings and communications, acting as a filter between potential partners and supporters and BMWC staff, programs, and projects.
This is a full time position reporting to the Executive Director. The Operations Manager will work out of BMWC’s Flagstaff based office with regular travel to BMWC’s Pinon office. All BMWC employees are at- will, FLSA exempt status employees.
Administrative & Office Management (approx. 40% FTE):
- Work with fiscal sponsor to process financial requests and ensure timely payment of bills
- Secure and manage BMWC’s 501(c)(3) status
- Develop and manage organizational policies and procedures
- Develop and manage administrative systems and structures
- Maintain project supplies, filing systems, and general organization of BMWC offices
External Communications (approx. 30% FTE):
- Manage BMWC’s general email, snail mail and voicemail inquiries
- Manage BMWC’s social media outlets
- Update and maintain BMWC’s website
- Provide outreach and engagement to BMWC community through website, social media, list serve(s), etc.
Staff & Board Coordination (approx. 15% FTE):
- Coordinate internal staff and board communication strategies (i.e. staff calls, board calls, organizational calendar, etc.)
- Organize logistics for staff and board in person meetings
- Ensure staff and board adherence to organizational policies and procedures
Fundraising Support (approx. 10% FTE): q
- Manage fundraising filing systems
- Assist Executive Director with grant writing and reporting
- Assist Executive Director with logistical support for fundraising efforts
- Manage annual budget in coordination with Executive Director
Program & Project Support (approx. 5% FTE):
- Ensure thorough understanding of BMWC’s work and the external contexts that influence and impact our work
- Represent BMWC in a variety of settings
- Attend trainings to build skills that will support the organizations mission
- Provide logistical support to programmatic work as needed
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or two years of experience in related role
- Driver’s license and liability insurance
- Support of the mission, vision and goals of BMWC
- Navajo cultural competency
- Familiarity with environmental and social justice issues, especially on the Navajo Nation
- Familiarity with concepts pertaining to community empowerment, decolonization, and the political and social conditions of oppression
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards
- Strong organizational skills with attention to details and accuracy
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with common computer applications (i.e. MS Office, Google docs, Dropbox, video tele-conferencing systems, etc.)
- Experience using social media and web development tools (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, WordPress)
- Experience in budget development and oversight
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work independently
- Flexibility and positive attitude, solution-oriented
- Willingness and ability to travel an average two days per month, mostly between BMWC’s Flagstaff and Pinon offices
HOW TO APPLY:
A competitive salary is offered. If interested in applying please submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, two to three professional references, and a short writing sample by Friday, February 10, 2017 at 5:00pm MST. To submit the application and/or ask a question, please email email@example.com with “BMWC Operations Manager” in the subject line.
If you are being considered for the position, you will be contacted the week of February 13th to set up an interview. The tentative start date for the position is February 27, 2017.
BMWC is a fiscally sponsored project of Native Movement. We are an equal opportunity employer.